This church planter will come alongside believing Fulbe leaders to equip them to evangelize and disciple their people. To do this, they will need to move into the Fulbe community, learn their language and culture, and be willing to work in the background, primarily in leadership development. One of the most significant challenges to achieving these goals is that the Fulbe are a Muslim, unreached people group. It will take caution and wisdom to help Fulbe people understand how faith in Christ will work out in their lives and families.
A Fulbe church planter must have a vibrant spiritual life characterized by consistent practice of the spiritual disciplines. They will need to have a solid understanding of the Scriptures and particularly how Old Testament stories lead to the person and work of Christ. Patience will also be necessary as it will take time and disciplined study to faithfully communicate to the Fulbe in their language.
The ideal candidate has the following:
- A BA in biblical studies or equivalent experience.
- Five (5) years of church leadership experience is preferred.
- A willingness to commit at least 10 years to the project.
- A solid commitment to the spiritual disciplines (i.e., Bible reading, prayer, etc.).
The Fulbe church planter is directly accountable to the Cameroon Field Director.
The Fulbe church planter will work on a team to develop self-sustaining, Fulbe-led, healthy churches. They will:
- Live among the Fulbe people, learning their language and culture before beginning formal ministry.
- Teach the Bible in formal and informal settings.
- Equip Fulbe leaders to evangelize the unbelieving Fulbe people (primarily Muslim).
- Train Fulbe church leaders to disciple believers in a life-on-life manner.
- Develop current and future church leaders in Biblical and practical leadership skills.
- Other field or agency duties as assigned.
The Fulbe church planter will be responsible for working toward the following:
- Professional working proficiency in the Fulfulde language (the language of the “Fulbe” or “Fulani” people).
- Leadership development for the current discipled Fulbe believers to help them grow in evangelism, discipleship, and leadership skills.
- Coming alongside Fulbe leaders in their evangelism and discipleship efforts, joining into evangelism, Bible teaching, and discipleship when appropriate with a goal of Fulbe believers forming themselves into Fulbe churches.