RACE (Reciprocal Assessment and Candidate Evaluation) is World Team’s week-long process for assessing, evaluating, and selecting people for cross-cultural ministry, including thoroughly assessing each candidate’s teamwork abilities and potential church planting skills. Seven full days include training, teamwork, interviews, testimonies, prayer, mentoring, and exploring the needs and opportunities in the world today. Church planting simulations help each candidate understand what it means to work as a team, specifically in light of their strengths and weaknesses. RACE also works to inform each candidate of World Team’s culture, vision, guiding principles, and church planting strategy so participants can decide whether they will join what God is doing through World Team.
RACE is held every March, July, and November at the World Team US Center north of Philadelphia.
Reciprocal: Yes, we will ask a lot about you, your experience, and your readiness for cross-cultural ministry; but it’s a two-way street. You’re invited to get to know our heart and ask your burning questions. We strive to be honest about the joys and challenges of our work.
Assessment: This begins before you come by completing your application and continues throughout the week of RACE. Experienced World Team missionaries and assessment staff will review your application files, observe your interactions with other candidates during team-based activities, get to know you one-on-one, and give you honest and constructive feedback.
Candidate: That’s you. And a host of other people from many different backgrounds and stages of life. Some candidates remain close long after their week together at World Team. Some even form new teams!
Evaluation: RACE is a focused, prayer-soaked process designed to discern your readiness for cross-cultural ministry and identify possible ministry opportunities.
RACE is designed to answer many questions, including the following:
- Am I well suited for cross-cultural ministry?
- Where can I go? What kind of opportunities exist?
- Am I a good fit with World Team?
- How can my gifts, skills, and abilities be best used on a team serving unreached peoples?
- Do I need additional training?
- Are there specific areas of education or character development I should work on?
Why should someone consider attending RACE?
- A deeper knowledge of who World Team is and the vision God has given us among the unreached
- A greater understanding of how your skills, gifts, abilities, and experiences fit into current ministry opportunities
- Concrete feedback from experienced missionaries and assessors to help you identify the next steps in your journey
- Specific recommendations for ministry opportunities for you to explore
- Encouragement from time spent with fellow candidates and staff who share your passion for the nations
RACE concludes with a decision. If we mutually agree that there is a good fit between us, you will be invited to join the World Team family as a missionary appointee.
Are you ready? Get Started below to learn more and connect with a World Team Missions Coach!